PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

Briggs engine will not start without starting fluid. Runs ok when started

Customer Question

Bridds 5 hp. engine #130902
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 8 years ago.
Can you give me the type and code numbers off the engine?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
#130902 0173-01(NNN) NNN-NNNNI It will restart if the engine a had ben running for a while
Expert:  PK. replied 8 years ago.

If the choke is functioning properly then you'll probably need to go through the carburetor and replace the diaphragm. This engine is shown to have been available with two different carburetors, one with the diaphragm on the side and the other with it between the tank and carb. Both of these are very simple carburetors and you should be able to take care of them with a few tools and some spray carb cleaner.

It sounds as if the diaphragm may be having trouble picking up fuel at the low engine speed you get when trying to start it.

You should also try loosening the gas cap and try starting it and replacing the spark plug but I think the diaphragm is going to be the culprit from what you describe.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have replaced the diaphragm. If the gasket between the gas tank and the carb leaks some could this be the problem.
Expert:  PK. replied 8 years ago.
Yes. That leak will prevent you from starting the engine cold. It will exhibit the same symptoms as a bad diaphragm as the result is the same.
Expert:  PK. replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the Accept. If you have further trouble, just revisit this same question thread so you don't have to pay anymore.