PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.

I have a 16 hp murray riding mower, model no 46901x92b with

Customer Question

I have a 16 hp murray riding mower, model no 46901x92b with 46 in. 3 blade deck. While mowing a spring broke and fell to the ground, obviously from the motion drive system somewhere because the hydrostatic drive foot pedal quit operating the drive. When depressed, either forward or rearward, no movement. A local dealer did have the exact spring however, I cannot ascertain where in the heck it goes to save my life,,, help,,, I think it is spring sku165x92ma. It is approx 10 in long with one long tail and one short.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I think I can help you with this. On top of the Hydro unit is an L-shaped tab, it should be just beside the cooling fan. The short end of the spring hooks on there. The long end hooks onto the footpedal assembly. If you look at the footpedal shaft, as it extends outward, there will be a plate that fastens to it that extends backwards.It will have a long slot in it towards the back and three holes in the front. The first hole is used to attach the pedal to the plate. The spring should attach into the bottom hole to the rear. It's easier to attach the short.end first. If you have any trouble, don't hesitate to ask, thanks, PK.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi PK,
The spring to which you are referring is very long, about 25 inches, that spring is intact and still in place on my machine,, remember, the one I need assistance with is just over 10 inches, 10 7/8 ths to be exact. I am thinking it is one of the two which attach to the rear frame sheetmetal, specifically, the one on the left rear. But,, the illustrations do not show it clearly and don't show where the other end attaches at all.
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

I think what you have is the spring for the dump valve. The ones on the back are for the brake. If you follow the link below it'll be #63.

http://wssemw.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF&app=EWSS&session=7bd71388-9829-41ea-bc22-5a25b55ac1cc&cat=42&TF=epcFrame&assem=151&highlightNode=No&selAssem=15493&mdDescrip=46901x92B%20Lawn%20Tractor%20%281996%29

Let me know if that's not it.

Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Well I guess the link doesn't work. Do you have a parts diagram off of the Empart system? f not, I'll tell you how to find one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That link did not work,,,it said "undefined"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Am not familiar with the empart system but, I will search it out,,
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
If you go to Jack's Small Engines, click on Parts Look Up in the upper right corner, then click where it says Parts Look Up in the blue box, then click on the Shop Online box it will take you to an EMPART look-up. Use the drop down to pull up Murray, (Briggs and Stratton Power) then click Model in the gray toolbar and enter your mower model number. Then click on the Motion Drive tab and it'll bring up your drive system. You'll see the dump valve bars where the dump valve spring fastens to.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope,,, my dump valve spring is present,,,,this is very perplexing,,my spring (that broke) is 10 7/8 in long the spring part is 3 1/4 in. the long tail hook is 6 1/2 in. and the short loop on the other end of the spring is 1 in... I have a new spring,,just can't locate where it goes,,,
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

I'll have to see if I have a similar mower in the shop and take a look. I can't think of any other springs that size which would affect the drive. Did you verify that the brake springs are in place?

There is one other thing to check and that is that the drive Idler has a spring on it. The spring in the diagram doesn't match what you have, but stranger things have happened....