PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.

I have a coleman powermate 5000 generator with a 10 hp. briggs

I have a coleman powermate 5000 generator with a 10 hp. briggs and straton motor. My problem is I took apart the govener arm and now when I put it back together I have only high speed no idle. Is there a certain way to set the govener shaft to the throttle? The reason I took this apart was because oil was leaking out of the govener shaft and I wanted to get a better look and I believe it was leaking because someone overfilled the oil resevor. So the question is how do I get proper engine speed back?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I think I can walk you through this without too much trouble. If you have the linkage from the governor to the throttle hooked up properly, then loosen the nut that tightens the governor and push the governor to the position where the throttle is fully open. It'll probably be clockwise. Then turn the shaft that the governor is mounted to the same direction until it is all the way over. You may need some needle-nose pliers or hemostats, which I prefer, if you can't get at it with your fingers. Once you have the throttle fully open using the governor, and the governor shaft fully over, then tighten down on the nut. You should be able to use the governor to open and close the throttle. Try starting the engine at this point. Shut it off immediately if it overspeeds. Thanks, Ashley.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Using recommendation of setting the governer I already tried that, problem being is the governer shaft that goes into the casing when I go to turn it to clockwise or counter clockwise it only locks out on the shaft pin but if you pull the shaft out it continually rotates both ways with no lock down. Getting back to original problem when I was investigating the governer shaft to see why it was leaking from the casing is when I dismantled the governer from the shaft so now I do not know where I am at from setting. Should governer shaft do a 360 degree turn?
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
I'll have to look at one when I get to the shop in the morning to be sure, but I don't recall being able to pull the shaft out nor should it spin 360 degrees. If I'm mistaken about this somebody please jump in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any luck on that answer for me?
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

Yep. You shouldn't be able to pull the governor shaft out. I can't be sure exactly what's broken or stripped out, but something is. If you remove the engine from the generator you can fairly easily get to the governor to see the problem.

If you'd like to try to get to the governor assembly, let me know the engine model, type and code, and the generator make and model, and I'll explain how to get to it.

It sounds as if the governor shaft bushing is bad also. This is probably why it was leaking. It may be that you can push the governor shaft back into position and have the engine run fine. But I wouldn't try it. The shaft will probably dislodge again, while running, and you'd have no more engine. If there's something broken inside, then it will likely come apart, and again, no more engine.

PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.