Edward
Edward, Mechanic
Experience:  From a snowmobile to a lawnmower, weed eater to chainsaw, if it runs on gas I can fix it.
3134513

i overfilled the oil on my riding lawn mower, It ran ...

i overfilled the oil on my riding lawn mower, It ran for about 45 minutes and then stopped running. I removed the spark plug and it was dirty but had no oil on it. I replaced it and drained the oil to the proper level but it still won''t start.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. :

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Is the engine turning over but not attempting to start?

Will it try to start if you add fuel to the carburetor?

Please pull the spark plug and see if it is getting spark.

Let me know and if the spark plug is now oil fouled.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine is turning over but not attempting to start. I pulled the new sparkplug that I just put in and had turned the engine over with the new plug, the plug is oiled fouled, not much but there are traces of oil in the sparkplug tread. I haven't tried adding fuel to the carburetor yet. How do I check to see if the spark plug is getting spark?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

To check for spark pull the plug wire off the plug, and position the wire so that there is a small gap between the wire and the top of the plug. Pull the starter cord. A visible spark should jump between the wire and plug. If you don't see a spark, make sure that the gap is not too large and try doing this where there is less light. No spark indicated a problem with the ignition. Look at the spark plug after several attempts to start the engine. Let me know if adding the fuel to the carb makes the saw try to start.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Edward, Mechanic
Experience: From a snowmobile to a lawnmower, weed eater to chainsaw, if it runs on gas I can fix it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine which I'm having problems with is on a riding lawn mower and not a saw. The engine was working fine before I overfilled it with oil. I still haven't heard whether you think the overfilling with oil has anything to do with the engine having stopped running and what I might have to do to get it going again. I have inbdicated that the new sparkplug which I put in it has some oil on the treads.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

I realize it is a riding lawn mower. I was working with a customer with a saw and accidental typed saw. The information is applicable. Perhaps I should have said crank the engine to check for a spark. If you tilted the mower on ti's side to drain the oil, many times this will allow oil to fill the combustion chamber and can foul out a new plug. Let me know if adding the fuel to the carburetor makes the saw try to start. Overfilling with oil can cause other problems besides fouling the plug but from what you have told me there are no indications of other damage being done.

Regards,

Edward

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is the last question before I approve for payment. i added fuel to the carburator and the mower still doesn't start. you indicated that there might be other problems associated with overfilling with oil and running the mower that way. I did not tilt the mower to drain the excess oil, this mower has a drain plug and that's how I drained the excess oil but I did run it with the overfill. What other problems are associated with an oil overfill?, I ask so I can have an Idea when i take it in for repair. thanks
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Often oil can get into the carburetor. Adding the gas should clear this problem. Overfilling the engine can cause the oil to foam up which will decrease it's lubrication abilities. This can cause extreme wear to the engine parts. I am not saying this has happened but only that it is a possibility. It would be hard to determine the problem without further testing.

Regards,

Edward