Pat Brooks
Pat Brooks, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years experience, 1st place 1989 National VICA air cooled engine repair,Tulsa OK

I have an MTD Riding mower Model 13AM762G752...Will not ...

Customer Question

I have an MTD Riding mower: Model 13AM762G752...Will not go into forward gear, goes into reverse just fine. It will sometimes jump into forward gear. Can this be a belt????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pat Brooks replied 8 years ago.

The problem is the transmission mount. Sometimes it becomes loose where it bolts under the transmission pulley. It's easier to see from underneath. Also check the the four bolts at the axle.

What's happening is the transmission is loose and probably sitting at an angle. Don't just tighten the loose bolts take them out and look for signs of stripping. If they aren't stripped, reinstall with loctite.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Pat...I did give the bolts a look already, had them completely out and there are no signs of stripping. They went back on nice and tight and the problem persists. When the shift lever is placed into forward, it rattles and knocks slightly as if wanting to catch and go forward. If I shake it back & forth, it will sometimes jump into forward gear and then slip right back out. Any other possibilities?

The problem is internal within the transmission then.

These transmissions are easy to disassemble. Sounds like the bearing on the input shaft has failed. See if you can move the pulley back and forth any, you're going to need to remove the belt anyway so do that now by holding the idler back and slipping the belt off the big pulley.

There is also a possibility that the bracket that holds the gear shift could be loose. But it really sounds like the problem is inside the transmission.

Let me know what you find.