The Home Smithy, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  Small engine tech
3079445

My Honda Generator EB3000c wont start. It

Customer Question

My Honda Generator EB3000c won''t start. It is 3 1/2 years old and has only run for 8 strait hours during a hurricane in 2006. I have occasionally started it up throughout the year but yesterday it would not start. It has normally started real fast but not now... Please advise.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Do you use any fuel additive in the gasoline?

How long has it been sitting with gas in the tank and how long since it has been started?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have used the required amount of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer.

It has been sitting for 5 - 6 months with gas in the tank.

Just for info: My son-in-law has the same Honda generator and he drained his tank and refilled it and that still didn't help his situation, i.e., won't start.

Awaiting your reply.

Thank you -- Russ
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
I have opted out of this question since I have no information on this model in my database. By opting out this prompts other experts to reply if they have the answer for you. Hopefully another expert will respond soon.

Regards,

Edward
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

OkCustomer

Since the motor does fire using the starting fluid you do have spark, and the motor will run with the proper fuel and carburation.

What I would like for you to do is first change the fuel. Yes I know you added stabiliser bla bla bla. Please humor me and do this. Dont forget to drain the float bowl also.

Although you have added stabiliser it doesnt mean that the fuel is not bad. Personally I think buying fuel stabiliser is a waste of good money. Not to mention a fast trip to a headache.

If it will still not start then the problem is going to be in the carburator. I think you will agree that changeing the fuel is easier and cheaper than rebuilding the carb. So lets start with that and we can go from there.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

The Home Smithy, Small Engine Tech
Experience: Small engine tech
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, Smithy, I've drained the old fuel and emptied out all the float bowls, including the one on the carburator. I put in new fuel and tried to start using starter fluid and it kicks on for a second or two and that is all it will do -- won't keep running. What's next? Russ

Ok try giving the engine a squirt of regular gas and see if that will fire it. If it fires then the carb is plugged. Leave the choke open when you do this.

Let me know what happens, ok.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thst did'nt work either, I was hoping...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have no desire to mess with the carburetor -- that sounds more like a Honda Repair man's job -- what do you think?

Thanks, Russ

Ok so it did not fire with the squirt of gas? But it will still fire with the ether (starting fluid) correct?

And the fuel you gave it a shot with is fresh fuel? Not from a can that has been stored for any legnth of time?

I dont mean to harp on the fuel issue but I have already had one customer this season that had the exact same problems. Turned out he did drain the fuel tank and the float bowl but he used gas from a can he had in his garage. Turns out it was bad fuel also. He went and got some new fuel and his problem was solved.

Please advise.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll get some fresh fuel from a near by gas station and see if that works. I'll get back soon. Thanks, Russ
Ok Ill be here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got the new fuel and tried that like you suggested but it didn't start. I guess sthat's about it at least for now -- I'm getting tired of messing with it today Smithy. Maybe will give it try tomorrow.

Ok Russ. this is definatly a strange case you have hee. The only thing I can come up with now is possibly a weak spark. But the starting fluid should kick that too.

Ill mull it over and see what I can come up with for you.

Best THS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
7/23 - Sorry THS I didn't get back to you yesterday. What I did discover tho is that I can try and start the generator pulling the choke out, etc., and it will fire up for a second or two -- I did this three separate times (maybe 1/2 hour or so apart) and each time the same thing -- and that was not using any starting fluid. Today, I plan to use a small compresssor I have and blow air through the carb hose. If that don't work will take the bowl off and see if anything is hung up in there and go from there. On a pressure washer I have (Briggs & Stratton) the float was stuck to the bottom of the bowl -- I freed it up put gas in it and it fired off and has been running fine since. I'll let you know later in the day. Probably will be close to 4 PM EST before I can get to it. Thanks for your kind indulgence. Russ

Russ;

If the float was stuck to the bottom it would be pumping gas not restricting it. You may have a inlet pin stuck that is not allowing fuel into the carb bowl. But the squirt of fuel should have fired the motor in that case.

Try checking the plug again and see if it is wet. If it is then dry it off and try it again.

Pulling the float bowl is still a good idea. You can check the condition of the inlet pin when you do. When fuel goes bad it forms a substance similar to laqure. As you know laqure is very sticky and when dried can cause all kinds of problems in a carb.

Let me know what you find.

Best; THS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks again, THS. Sorry to drag this out so long. I took it to a Honda Repair place today. Everything you told me is no doubt right on the money and I do accept your info & advise. Thank you for all of your time and trouble.

Regards,

Russ

Russ, You are most welcome. I only wish that I could have provided you a solution to the problem.

Thank you for the accept. Although not necessary it is much appreciated.

If you dont mind I would like to know what the dealer finds. This is definatly one of the more confounding problems I have encountered.

Thank you again for the accept.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Attn: THS

I got the Honda Generator back and it was the carburetor -- they had to remove it and clean it up. It was due to the gas setting in it too long, etc. The Honda guy said in the future to turn the gas flow line valve to off and let it run until the gas is burned up then no gas will remain in the carb.

One more thing THS: Your company billed me twice. 7/21/08 and 7/25/08 That shouldn't be because the problem and the "Accept" on the job was not Okayed by me until I sent you my final message 7/25/08 for the $15.00 bill. They need to remove the charge of $15.00 for 7/21/08. Please tell me who to talk to about that. I've been unsuccessful in reacning anyone in Billing by phone to correct the over-charge.

Thanks, THS. Please let me hear back from you on the billing problem....Regards, Russ.....