Bobby, Technician
Experience:  16 years experience in small engines, Bobcat loaders, Hyd , and electrical repair.

I have a Yamaha G2A Golf Cart J38 034246. It just stoped ...

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha G2A Golf Cart J38 034246. It just stoped running. When I short across the Relay wires the engine will turn over. Has the Relay gone bad or the solenoid? Or is it the on off switch?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Bobby replied 8 years ago.

Hello. I'm Bobby

Could be you relay or switch, Your starter solenoid is ok because your able to get the engine to crank over, I would start with the switch. Take a test light and see if your getting current out of one of the terimals when your holding it in the crank position.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I checked the current going into the on off switch. One wire has current but no current comes out of the other three wires when the foot pedal is in any position. ( There is a switch at the foot pedal which it appears that when the pedal is not engaged the engine is off and when the pedal is engaged the engine starts and then runs until the pedal is not engaged.) There is no continunity in the wires coming out of this switch when it is in either position. The two wires coming from the pedal switch go directly to the on off switch.If the pedal switch was working I would think that there would be continunity in one of the positions of the foot pedal.
Expert:  Bobby replied 8 years ago.

I agree with you , there should be continunity in one of the positions on the foot pedal. I think you headed in the correct direction with the foot switch.