Louis138
Louis138, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Honda small engine training, 7+ years professional mechanic experience on all makes and models
10774683

Honda HT3810 PTO clutch does not release. Cable works

Customer Question

Honda HT3810 PTO clutch does not release. Cable works fine, brake seems to work (move), but clutch will not disengage. Can anyone tell me why?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Louis138 replied 8 years ago.
I can help you, I just need a little more information. Are you saying that the PTO clutch will not disengage the blades, even with the PTO hand lever all the way up (vertical)? I just want to clarify so I don't send you in the wrong direction. Let me know and I'll get back with you ASAP.

Thanks!!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
YES THAT'S CORRECT.
Expert:  Louis138 replied 8 years ago.

The PTO clutch cable runs from the right hand side lever to the clutch itself. Look at the cable and find the screw adjuster. Loosen the locknut and screw the adjuster in or out as needed to get a .020" gap between the clutch plate and disc. Retighten the locknut. This should allow the clutch to completely disengage without dragging. If you try this and still have any problems, just let me know and I will opt out to allow another expert to help you.

Thanks!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your info. I have already adjusted the cable, but the piece that the cable attaches to on the clutch hits a stop on the engine and won't go any further. I am wondering if there should be some kind of "shoe" material on the brake part(there isn't) and the lack of that extra thickness is the problem. The shoes seem to be some kind of metal and don't have any kind of friction materal on them.
Expert:  Louis138 replied 8 years ago.
That's af far as I have been into one of those mowers, so I'm going to opt out, which will open up your question for other experts to answer. I hope you get it working!

Good Luck!!