Bobby
Bobby, Technician
Experience:  16 years experience in small engines, Bobcat loaders, Hyd , and electrical repair.
10376097

troubleshooting Briggs & Stratton 5 HP

My little engine idles beautifully and accelerates powerfully when I move the throttle lever on the carburetor by hand. But when I try to accelerate with the remote control, the engine stalls and the exhaust belches black smoke. What''s wrong?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Bobby replied 8 years ago.
Hello Customer my name is Bobby, I have a question , when you move the lever by hand are you moving slow? If you rev it up fast by hand does the engine stall like it would if you were using the remote?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, Bobby. I move both the lever on the carburetor and the remote slowly. By hand, no hesitation to accelerate. By lever, it dies. I have manipulated the mixture both ways, from rich to lean, without changing results.
Expert:  Bobby replied 8 years ago.

Hello again, Well I think the choke is coming on when you rev it up with the throttle lever , I would look at the choke lever as you rev it up with the remote lever. the choke should not move , only the throttle on the carb should be moving. could just be a linkage adjustment. But if the choke shaft does not move when you throttle it up then I would say its something with the carb going wrong. maybe float level set to high,

Bobby Long