Kevin
Kevin, Mechanic
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED MECHANIC - SMALL ENGINE REPAIR SINCE CHILDHOOD
9857227

I have a 161 cubic cm Honda engine on a power ...

I have a 161 cubic cm Honda engine on a power washer, almost new, and it fails to start. It has fresh gas, clean air cleaner, new oil, new spark plug - any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
when was the last time it ran ??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It ran last summer, maybe 3 or 4 occasions and was winterized before storage in September, i.e., fuel drained, oil changed, oil squirted in spark plug hole.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

is fresh fuel flowing to the carburator ?

have you checked for spark/cleaned plug ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, new fuel, new spark plug and fuel is flowing.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

is the plug fouling from fuel or is it dry as a bone ?

have you given it a shot of carb cleaner/dribbled raw fuel through air cleaner to see if it fires ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I left the choke on and there was fuel running out. I'm not sure about a dry plug. But I did squirt some starting fluid in and that didn't help. I have not put raw fuel in the air intake.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

it sounds to me like it has a bad needle and seat...not shutting down the flow of fuel...i recommend you remove the carburator disassemble it check that the float is intact and not filled with gas...then be sure to clean all the passages with carb cleaner and compressed air..install a new needle/seat assembly and any worn gaskets(should be available at most hardware and or small engine repair shops)-this should have you back up and running smooth again...please remember to use the green accept button - thanks-let me know if you need any further assistance

Kevin, Mechanic
Experience: ASE CERTIFIED MECHANIC - SMALL ENGINE REPAIR SINCE CHILDHOOD