Gil
Gil, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Master Service Technician for Kohler Motors. Certified Marine and Outdoor Power Equipment Technician
10094475

How hard is it to rebuild a riding lawn mower starter

I have a Honda HT3810 lawn mower the starter is gone. Unless I know what parts are broken it will cost to buy a new one. Is there any books or suggestions you can give me?
Thanks.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Gil replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer/p>

Unless you really know what you are doing I wouldn't recommend trying to rebuild your starter. Parts are available according to the parts breakdown but to try and tell what you need will be difficult.

It may be worth your while to try and find an aftermarket starter for your motor. They are usually significantly less expensive than OEM starters. Aftermarket starters may be available from Oregon or Stens or Laser. The Honda part number for a replacement starter is as follows....31200-ZA1-003. If you take this part number and the old starter with you to a reputable small engine shop someone there will hopefully be able to cross reference the part number to an aftermarket starter. Some shops may have a selection of good used starters. You could try that too.

Hope this helps. Gil