Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.
13568747

My bernina sewing machine causes the thread to tangle

Customer Question

My bernina sewing machine causes the thread to tangle underneath the
JA: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Probably ten years I bought it new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It seems to be sewing okay for a few mins. then stops and when I pull the fabric out the bottom of the material is a tangled mess of thread
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That problem (known as 'birds-nesting' under the fabric) is typically caused by an incorrect tension setting.

There are of course two tension settings, for the two threads: upper thread tension, and bobbin thread or lower thread tension.

Birds-nesting below the fabric/work, means that the upper thread tension is too loose. Try setting the upper thread tension dial one or two points (at most, at a time) higher.

Then try a bit and see if it improves - or is cured. If it improves, but isn't cured, set it another point higher, try again, until it is perfect, then you can continue work properly.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.