Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.
13568747

Singer sewing machine 990, the needle will not come up

Customer Question

singer sewing machine 990, the needle will not come up enough for me to get the embrodriy hoop out. only raise enough to barely clear the material when I push the up button its goes up and down very fast and then goes right back where it was
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Can you dismount the needle from the needle arm, then (with it still piercing the material on the hoop) move it sideways and then pull it up and to-the-side, and out of the material, thus freeing up the hoop also?

That would be an emergency measure, of course. It sounds very much as if your machine has ill-synchronized mechanical workings and might need a trip to the shop to be adjusted.

If you need listings for nearby Singer Authorized shops, let me know your local zip code, please.

(-And if your machine is fairly new (Singer's warranty for some parts of its machines are very very long compared to most manufacturers) then that repair work may be for-free. Here's hoping.)