Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

I can't get my Bernina 830 to zigzag

Customer Question

I can't get my Bernina 830 to zigzag
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Pete replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 8 days ago.

First, give all the gears a good cleaning. Then you should be able to select each stitch and needle position one at a time and watch to see what happens to the needle - it should allow you to zigzag again.

Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have already cleaned it all and reoiled it and it still doesn't work. Went through all the 21 stitches and the needle still doesn't move unless you move it with your own hand. I am impressed how quickly he answered back.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 days ago.

Can you turn the handwheel?

Does the handwheel feel stiff?

Does the needle move as you turn the handwheel?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I can turn the handwheel, No the handwheel doesn't feel stiff, and the needle does move up and down when you turn the handwheel.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 days ago.

Does the machine make any zigzag or pattern stitches at all, or do you only get a completely straight line?

Have you tried replacing the needle?

Also try removing the bobbin and re-bobbin the machine and make sure it is well-seated - let me know if any of that helps?