Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Tech
Experience:  Owner and Operator with 15yrs experience with degrees.
21107370

I can feel a slight "tingly" sensation from the metal parts

I can feel a slight "tingly" sensation from the metal parts of my Singer 403A sewing machine. I am pretty sure it's not the cord as I tried my other (similar) cord from my 401A and still got the sensation. Could it be the internal wiring that is a problem? If so, is it likely the wiring to the light or wiring to the motor??
JA: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Singer 403A. At least 50 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I have taken basic sewing machine repair classes but have not run into this problem yet.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have a 7-Function Digital Multimeter but am only a novice with it.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

If you are feeling a tingly that means a neutral is bad so you are becoming the neutral feed. Likely it is a chaffed wire inside the unit to the main switch or motor that you would need to find causing that issue.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!