Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.

When I install a new needle, it won't pick up the bobbin

Customer Question

When I install a new needle, it won't pick up the bobbin thread until I set the needle lower in the holder to make the needle go deeper
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: quite a while
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: hopefully
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: when I set the needle lower this way, it occasionally hits the thread grabber wheel.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 15 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That may simply be owing to one of a few factors:

1. the needle may be the wrong size for the machine. It may need to be a longer needle to work in this machine, simply.

2. the needle might be set wrongly in the needle clamp, perhaps. Backwards doesn't work as well as forwards, etc.

3. possibly, doubtfully, the machine may need to have its moving parts re-synchronized... a job for a repair shop most usually.

Let me know what of these three most probable causes is most likely to be the case... or whether they all can be eliminated with confidence... and I will advise you further as needed at no additional charge until the problem is solved. Thanks.