Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.

I have a bernina artista 180e with the orginal software and

Customer Question

i have a bernina artista 180e with the orginal software and cps software. I am the only owner. It has not been touched for 11 years. I was struck by lighting in July 2006 and lost my ability to do just about anything. I recently had another surgery that is has helped lots. I have no idea to make this machine functional. Or if it is worth the couch. I do know it is is beautiful condition. I lost my job (systems engineer) and later our house. The movers took my sewing room and just threw stuff into boxes. I am trying to get all the parts together for 3 berninas, a ellegante 2 which was brand new when I was hit and a really good serger. So where do I start?
JA: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: bernina artista 180e. maybe 1990. cant remember.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Most of it yes. I used to build servers, install the operating software, and the software for the business. Airborne, and DHL. I think I have a few skills that have come back. My husband will help.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope. cant update to v4 and than to 5. don't have any of those old computers around. can you do it in one step?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would like to help. I am not sure what problem you are having, but it can no doubt be overcome.

1: what error is happening, or is something specific not working?

2: what region are you in (by zip code, or by town/city and state) ?

If you were interested in having the bernina machine serviced, I could look up places to take it, or to call about it, in your region.

3: if you need to update, then what update are you trying to use?

If updating cannot be done, it may not be necessary. And, do not force an update, nor do any update that is the least bit dubious, or you may destroy the operating firmware of your machine. So, be very cautious about updating. In fact, tell me the complete circumstances please, so that I can advise you. Thank you.