urelectrician
urelectrician,
71008832

A friend of mine has a Groen Model TDB/7-40 cooker. After

Customer Question

A friend of mine has a Groen Model TDB/7-40 cooker. After running for a white it trips the breaker. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  urelectrician replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What is the wattage of the cooker?

2) Is the cooker running simultaneously with any other connected loads on the same circuit?

3) How many amps is the circuit? 15 or 20 amps?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
10.8 kw
It is on its own circuit
Its is rated and protected at 30 amps

Thanks for the replies.

1) Most cooktop small appliances are 120 volts. How many volts is the cooker rated for 120 or 240 volts?

2) A 10.8kW appliance is a 240 volt supply. Applying Watts Law where P = I x E, solve for I (Current). I = P/E = 10,800 watts divided by 240 volts = 45 amps. Thus a 30 amp breaker will always trip since the circuit is overloaded.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am a licensed electrician and it is a commercial cooker. It has to be an internal problem. The circuit is fine. I thought you may know about this particular cooker.

Is the cooker 240 or 208 or 120 volts?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
208
It has worked for years and it is an internal problem. I just thought you may of been knowledgeable about this cooker.

Thanks for the replies.

1) The branch circuit over current protection device is undersized. Do the math by applying Watts Law. P = I x E. Solve for I

I = P/E = 10,800 watts divided by 208 volts = 51 amps. No way will a 30 amp OCPD protect a 51 amp load. The breaker will trip every time, especially if a continuous 3 hour or more load.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)