Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Tech
Experience:  Owner and Operator with 15yrs experience with degrees.
21107370

After replacing brushes the mixer does not start, 30

Customer Question

After replacing brushes the mixer does not start
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 30 minutes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don´t think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Did it work fine before you replaced the brushes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was fine except for some noise from the gears. The brushes were taken out to use in an other machine. I have checked that voltage is coming to the Brush holders.

Are you sure you have the brushes in correctly as you could have them in the wrong way, it is easy to do and often causes that issue. If they are flipped around that will happen.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
34;you could have them in the wrong way" Is this possible for older models (K45SS) like mine. The brushes seem perfectly square and not with a note like in the later machines.

Yes you can still have them in wrong are you certain the wear groove is lined up with the commutator properly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can I check this alignment?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can I check if they are in the wrong way

Pull them out and check the curved wore part of the brushes....that curve has to be against the commutator....See pic here....note picture the commutator as a horizontal cylinder going the length of the mixer and the curved sides have to rest against the round side of the commutator

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The New brushes I got are straight / not curved

That is why they do not work...you need brushes that have a curve to them already.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not all new brushes are curved, they are very often square. I think the instructions that you refer to are meant to guide people that reintroduce used brushes. I grinded the brushes to the approximate radius, but that had no effect.

Does it work with the old brushes? I have never received new brushes for these that are just squared off

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The old brushes were thrown away. I have a couple of sets of new brushes they are all squared. I have increased the contact area by grinding the brushes with an proximate radius of the commutator.

The commutator could be really worn down they have to make good contact with it so make sure the springs are good on the back end as well.