Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.

I have Bissell Pro Heat carpet cleaner . The soap solution

Customer Question

I have Bissell Pro Heat carpet cleaner . The soap solution has stopped dispensing. The plain water spray is working fine for floor and upholstery. I checked the solenoid valve that stops the soap when in rinse mode and it is working fine. I suspect that the venturi that sucks in the soap is clogged. Where is that located? How can it be unclogged?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I have the cleaner apart right now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

You can try running a vinegar solution through the carpet cleaner to help dissolve any limescale that has built up and is clogging it.

Let me know if that works for you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The soap dispenser is clogged, how can I run vinegar through a clogged line? What do you think is clogged? How is the soap drawn into the main spray? Have you ever seen a Bissell Proheat 2X?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Let me check if someone can assist you further with this.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

One thing that can make the reservoir and/or the soap dispenser clog up, is the separation of the red gasket, that is supposed to fit around the nozzle on the bottom of the removable reservoir, and sometimes falls into the sump in the base of the 2X's floor-facing portion.

Unlatch and remove the reservoir. Look on the bottom of it - is the red gasket still present around the nozzle?

If that's not the problem, then:

- have you been using the approved cleaning solutions?

- does the soap dispenser work even temporarily? or in small quantities?

- how old is your Bissell Proheat 2X, and did it work well at first?

I hope we can find a solution readily enough for this problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The soap reservoir gasket is fine. I use the Bissell carpet shampoo 2X. There does not appear to be any draw on the soap lines. The main reservoir works and sprays fine.What draws the soap from the reservoir? Is is a venturi or the pump? I checked the solenoid valve that opens when the selectro is set to normal (not rinse) cleaning and it works. There is a hose that runs to a white plastic device under the flow indicator. What is that?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cleaner is over five years old and has worked well until last week.

Make sure the Auto Switch dial is not set on water only. Then, with your finger, press on the X-valve located on the insert of the shampoo container to see if shampoo comes out. If it does not, rinse the insert in hot tap water.
Apply pressure when inserting the shampoo container in the machine to ensure it is making contact.

If none of these measures can get the soap-spray function working again, then please tell me two things:

- how old is your Bissell 2X machine ?

- what is your local zip code, or town/city and state?