Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.

Brother ped-basic worked fine under windows 7. Have

Customer Question

brother ped-basic worked fine under windows 7. Have uninstalled, downloaded windows 10 files from Brother but program crashes when I try to navigate to any directory. ***** ***** P
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The program PED-Basic is used to write embroidery files to a card via a USB card reader/writer. The program opens OK and shows me the files in the directory that has been selected but when I click on the button which should allow me to browse to another file location the program crashes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Where did you get the Ped-Basic program? Was it a Brother source, nothing less, I hope?

How did you install the program? if from a downloaded file, I would advise right-clicking on the program installer file first, before installing from it, and choosing 'Properties', then select Compatibility tab, then mark the checkbox for using compatibility mode, and set that mode to

Windows 7

and click on OK until the Properties sheet closes, to save that.

This may help the program work in Windows 10.

Let me know if you need further specific advice, for I understand I may not have covered the ground for a total solution to the problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Russell. It was from Brother and I have tried installing as administrator, and compatible with Windows 7 and then XP. What I have found is that if I run it whilst logged in as Administrator it works fine but not when I am my normal administrator privileged user, even as run as administrator. It must be a permissions thing. I have also tried installing whilst logged in as Administrator but it still won't work as my normal account. Hope this helps!

Try removing the program.

Then restart your computer. Then log in just as yourself, administrator-privileged.

Then install as compatible with Windows 7.

Then when the reinstall is complete, restart your computer. Log in as yourself again.

That should clear up permissions issues, I hope.