Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a 2 year old, EL 1061 Stick Vacuum s/n

Customer Question

We have a 2 year old, EL 1061 Stick Vacuum s/n ES321332001604 that recently started to shut off after just 4 seconds of operation. It does it consistently and it doesn't make any difference whether it is separated as a hand vac or together as a floor vac. It shuts itself off 4 seconds after it is turned on.
One last piece of info: If it's together as a floor vac and I turn it on and then keep toggling the speed switch back and forth between low and high, it will keep running. However, it will shut off after 4 seconds once I stop toggling the speed switch.
We really liked this vac. Any ideas what it could be?
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! It sounds like the motor may be having issues with the run winding. Does the motor sound different than it did when it was working?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, the motor runs fine and sounds as fine as it always did. Also, it has good suction and airflow during the 4 seconds that it runs.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Do you have access to a clamp on meter to test the current draw when the motor runs? That is the only way to see if the motor is failing or not.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We figured it out. The upstairs recharging stand must be broken. I put the stick vac on the recharging stand in the basement (we have two of these stick vacs) and today it no longer shuts off after 4 seconds. The 4 second thing must be something it does when the batteries are getting low.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Very odd but glad it was an easy fix, nice job! I will remember that for this model, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

.