Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Singer Futura CE-250. While using the embroidery

Customer Question

I have a Singer Futura CE-250. While using the embroidery function, the machine started to beep nonstop and all the lights flash and the display showed "88". I would disconnect the embroidery unit, the beeping and flashing would stop, push the unit back in and I could continue to embroider. Now that I want to use it to sew. Whenever I turn it on, it beeps, flashes, and shows "88". It will not function at all. I have removed the top thread completely, thinking that was the problem, but I get the same result.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hi Penny,

Error 88 indicates that the upper tension path is not threaded correctly.

Check that the transparent thread path located at the top of the machine is threaded correctly.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I even removed the thread completely and the machine beeped and flashed.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hold thread in both hands and slip under transparent thread guide. While holding the thread securely, pull the thread towards you and then slip it back and forth like you were flossing. You should hear or feel two clicks as the thread slips past the thread guides.

Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

If that doesn't work, check for any buildup of lint or dross that may be affecting the free movement of the machine.

Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

If the thread is correctly fitted and tensioned correctly, and the machine is clean, then there is some other sensor fault and the machine will require a service.