Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.
13568747

I have dropped a straight pin through one of the accessory

Customer Question

I have dropped a straight pin through one of the accessory screw holes on the table of my Bernina B710. I think I need to remove the table top to retrieve the pin. I opened the bobbin door and loosened the screw with the star shaped head, but this doesn't seem to allow for detaching the table top. How do I detach the table top?
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Would it be possible to lower a small magnet into the screw hole? is it that large a screw hole?... in order to retrieve and pull out the pin.

There are tools of that sort, that are admittedly larger than most screw holes, that have a magnet on their end, and which telescope to as long a length as needed.

If the screw hole is too narrow - if it is a fine-sized screw's hole - then you might need to consider other methods of removing the pin. Let me know, if so... I don't think that removing the whole table top is the right thing to consider until all else has been considered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have such a tool, but the screw hole is approx 2mm across, much smaller than the magnet head. The pin is not visible and presumably has fallen below where it can be attracted by the magnet sitting on the surface. It is not visible through the hole.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know whether the pin was dropped into the screw hole, with the point upward, or downward?

I have looked up the 'Bernina table' and can find no information about it offhand. Can you clarify whether the table was provided with your Bernina B710, or is a part of it, or was an accessory, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached is a picture of the relevant area of the Bernina. The silver platform is the "table" I am referring to. The table or platform is an integral part of the machine; it is not an accessory. I didn't want to complicate the question, so I didn't go into the fact that it was to my wife that this happened--just easier to say "I". I have included a pin in the picture similar to the one she says went down one of the two holes next to the pin. The area underneath the holes is not visible from the bobbin compartment on the left. She does not know which end went in first.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the detailed explanation and the picture... it clarifies the situation.

At this point, given that the platform or 'table' is a part of the machine, I need to ask:

Is it going to be necessary to remove that pin? (obviously, if the screw hole is going to be used at any time in the future... but will it be so used?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pin is not blocking the screw holes, so they could be used for the intended purpose of attaching certain accessories to the machine. Obviously we will cover the holes with tape when not in use to prevent anything else from falling into the arm through them. With respect to whether it is necessary to remove the pin, we don't know. Not knowing where it has become lodged inside the arm, the fear is that it will be like a "throwing a monkey wrench in the gears" -- it could foul up some moving parts within the arm if stuck in between them.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I understand the situation, and I appreciate your feelings on the matter - having a pin in the hole might endanger the machine's operation in the future.

I cannot find details about how to remove the platform plate on this model. So I have to ask, which hole did the pin fall into? If it was in the base plate (under the needle more or less or nearly under the needle) then that's serious, since there are lots of moving parts there. But it may be retrievable from there if so.

On the other hand, if it fell elsewhere, I'm not so sure it's serious and I'm not sure I could advise you as to the complete or extensive disassembly of the machine that would be needed to remove the platform plate. If it comes to that, I may have to Opt Out of this case, reluctantly and with apologies, in favor of another Expert.