Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.
13568747

I have a Roomba 780 which has worked brilliantly years and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Roomba 780 which has worked brilliantly for 4 years and I've cleaned it twice weekly always as we have a very hairy dog. My husband has recently taken it to bits to clean it all as he does every now and then and now it's not picking up and it's making a rattling noise. Hope you can help please. Jackie
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That indicates that something was not put back in place correctly, or some part has (perhaps, with age, as often happens with plastic parts subjected to some use and stress) broken.

Taking it apart again and examining it for any broken-off parts, or any parts that are not in-place, is what would need to be done for this sort of problem.

The most hopeful interpretation however, is that the cleaning brushes have become stuck. Make sure there is not unusual debris locked into the brushes, that they have not become dislodged from their proper mounting positions, etc. (Not picking up dirt goes with the brushes being jammed or dislodged - or, at worst, broken beyond workability.)