Michael
Michael, Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 years of experience diagnosing and repairing all types of home appliances.
11519491

I have an old treadle Singer Sewing machine H880493, model

Customer Question

I have an old treadle Singer Sewing machine H880493, model 27, last patent date was Jan 13, 1891. I am having a problem with the thread tension. I have tried to regulate it, but the under stitching is loose and bumbled. I think that the tension regulator on the front of the machine may be the problem. Do you know what I can do so that I can use it? I keep it oiled and the last time I used it, it seemed fine.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am Tech Michael and will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

On this one the cure for this is to disassemble that part of the mechanism and clean it well. You can likely get away with simply loosening the tensioner and cleaning that entire are including especially the thread guides and the spindle parts of the lower thread set. I use WD -40 for this but use it sparingly, then I wipe away as much as I can with a paper towel and some clean dry Q tips. Then spray the entire area well with compressed air, you can use a compressor with an air attachment for this or even the cans of compressed air available in most hardware stores and home improvement stores. ALso many department stores will carry this. If you have any trouble locating this, you can look online as it available there for sure. Try this as it almost always works as this is a amachne that was built to last As I'm sure you know;-)

I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael

Thank You,

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted this problem solved, I don't need a service deal. Please don't charge me more than I agreed to pay in the beginning. Please don't start a free trial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate you responding to me. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, it is just that I am not sure about dealing online and want to make sure that I am not charged for something I don't need. Can you give me your phone number? Get back with me and assure me about the charging and I will give you a good recommendation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What settings are you referring to?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi below the deck where the bobbin thread is, there is, depending on your exact model year. A set screw or two that you can loosen or tighten to adjust the thread tension.. As for the cost for this service, I am only a technician, but you set the price at $26.00 total. So I get a percentage and that is all they charge for this.

If you don't rate at all, I will get nothing for my time and expertise, I am a master technician a few fields of service and I know these sewing machines well ;-)

I see a different page than you see, and I agree the site can be a little confusing at first. But.. we have an A+ rating with he BBB so you can rest assured that we really are legit and are really here to help you.

I wont leave you high and dry, its my record on the line here as this is what I do for a living.

I hope that helps?

Anyway, back to the problem at hand,

You will remove the thread from its guides make sure the bobbin can move freely then clean and lube everything that the thread runs through especially any adjustment areas you find.

Do that first and get back to me then.

In the meantime you can rate with confidence so that I can stick with you until this is complete, I will do everything I can from here to help get your machine working as it should. I used to own one of those myself and wish I still had it lol;-)

Have a great day.

Tech Michael