Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.
13568747

This is singer 185K. the place where you insert the needleis

Customer Question

This is for a singer 185K.
the place where you insert the needleis very short so it seems to just pick up the end of the needle before I tighten the screw. It does hold but there is alot of vertical movement in the bar . So if i lift up with the needle screw attachment -the bar moves up and daown at least a quarter inch. Also my top thread keeps breaking and the wheel locks up.
I took it in the havre the nee3dle bar fixed and he told me it was ok.
He did a tune up on the machine. Did nothing to needle bar. .Now when I sew 5 inches and the thread breaks.
I don't think this needle bar is working right. My other machines don't move like this and the needles go in much further.
Do you think ths exdtra movement in the needle bar is throwing the machine off?
Category: Small Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never used this service so I don't know what page I am suppossed to wait on or if I just stay open here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AI also domn't know if I m suppossed to call you now or the number to call. Mine is ************-- Debra
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem with the machine. (As for a live phone call - I am sorry to have to honestly say that I cannot offer one at this time.)

A small amount of looseness or 'play' in the mechanism of the needle may be normal. But I admit that the amount you are talking about is abnormal or at the edge of specifications.

Try setting the tension of the upper thread to a setting that is less by at least 2 points initially, then try that setting, then if that is still causing thread breaking, try 1 point less each time thereafter. Excessive upper thread tension can cause thread breaking. (As can, if it's worth mentioning, several other things, such as using the wrong needle, threading the machine in a manner that is not according to instructions on threading, etc.)