kingcobra80
kingcobra80, Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years repairing various small appliances
32169475

My sewing machine will not say threaded. I have retreaded

Customer Question

My sewing machine will not say threaded. I have retreaded and have left enough thread that should not have unthreaded but it did. At this point the machine is of no use to me. Please help.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I take it that the extra threading does not help with the problem. Make sure that the needle you are using does not have a burr or 'catchy' place in the eye of the needle. The needle thread is also known as the Upper Thread. The upper thread should be being fed from above into the needle's eye as the rest of the thread is used up. If it is not feeding into the needle's eye from above, the thread would either break or get pulled out of the needle's eye, perhaps. But I don't have a view of what's going on with the machine, as you start sewing, so maybe I have the wrong view of this. But to try about that hypothesis, once you have threaded the needle, try pulling on the end of that thread, beyond the needle, to see whether it is held too tightly or is otherwise not being fed through. On some sewing machine models I have seen, the upper thread is fed through a mechanical arrangement that is hard to describe in brief, but which essentially is in sync with the needle's motion, so as to feed out (or allow to feed out) a small length sufficient for the stitch, then allow another short length for the next stitch but stop more thread from being sewn, etc. The downward motion of the needle needs to be met with that much thread being meted out by the machine... but if that part of it isn't working, then either no thread will be meted out (stuck thread, in other words) or the first thread length will run out, but no more will be periodically allowed. So, when you tug on the thread, you ought to get up to an inch but then meet resistance. What actually happens?