Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.
13568747

I have a PE770, and I hate it, in the beginning it was working well th

Customer Question

I have a PE770, and I hate it, in the beginning it was working well then in May it started bird nesting the thread, so I brought it to a brothers dealership and, they supposedly repaired it. Didn't happen the second day I got it back it started the same thing as before. So I called the Brothers hotline and they said since they worked on it send it back to them. So I did. It stayed there three weeks and was not even worked on. So I had to wait an additional two weeks, well the tech said it was adjusted the head to the needle. I even bought the thread suggested by the salesman at the dealership and the bobbin. Guess what it still does it and now the top stitching is loose. What can possibly be the problem
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think, if the top stitching is loose, you need to adjust thread tension. Making 'birds nest' knots might be owing to too little tension... either of the top thread or the bobbin thread / bottom thread. (There is usually a tension adjustment for the bobbin thread also, as well as for top thread tension.)So I advise you to adjust the top thread one point tighter, then see if that relieves the situation at all by trying again, then try another point tighter if that doesn't help the problem, and so forth... perhaps until the thread breaks instead of the matter getting better.Also adjust the bobbin thread tension tighter, if the thread knotting in the bird's nest seems to be the bottom thread too.Let me know how that goes, please. It may be just a start toward determining what is wrong and fixing it. If it is not the solution, I will offer more advice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did all this yesterday before you answered the question and it was not successful. I have changed the needle, three times, cleaned out the bobbin, reset the tension on top and the bobbin. nothing is satifying to this machine. So I am just going to take it in to the shop or throw it out a window (this is what I would love to do). This is causing more anguish then the price of the machine. After buying new threads and bobbins, because I was told it was my supplies. I think the machine is just a lemon. Do you know of any lemon laws on brand new machines?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The warranty coverage is all I know about defective machines as issued from the manufacturer. And, if you bought it recently enough and it is defective, the vendor or store often has return-exchange policies that you can appeal to. (Usually the return-exchange period is no more than one month, often no more than 15 days or so.) Trying an entirely different bobbin is the last step to take, that you perhaps have already taken. Bobbins nowadays are sometimes made to poor specifications and do not properly fit the machines they ought to fit, sometimes. Throwing away a bobbin would be a satisfying alternative to throwing the machine out, if that's all the problem turns out to be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried every tension one step higher at a time, it did not work. I repeatedly spent three hours trying different methods. Nothing seemed to have worked. So I am just going to bring it into the shop.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Good. They ought to get to the bottom of the problem.In case you need to know where the nearest Brother-authorized service shop for your model is, I offer to look them up - if you Reply with your zip code or other locality indicator.