Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.
13568747

Singer quantum 9960 suddenly stopped sewing. Power is on but

Customer Question

Singer quantum 9960 suddenly stopped sewing. Power is on but not sewing. Nothing happens when I push the start/stop button or reverse button. Also, nothing when I use the foot control. The buttonhole lever is up and the bobbin winder is not engaged to
the right. Presser foot is down and needle in highest position. The start button is green. but machine just sits there without any movement or sound
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If the indicator lights on the sewing machine indicate nothing abnormal and no error, then you should first of all shut down your machine and unplug it. Leave it that way, unplugged, for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Then try it again.I suggest this because it might have gotten affected by either a power-line surge or variation, or have gotten a static electricity discharge into its electronics, either of which may have locked up the workings, temporarily or permanently.(To prevent power-line surge problems or damage, be sure to power your Singer machine through a sure protector or similar power filtering. As for static discharge: not wearing woolen clothing, or sweaters of any sort, can help with that, as well as not setting the machine up for work on either a vinyl sheet nor a glass sheet.) After that, if it continues to be locked up, the question is, has it been disused or stored for some time? if so, apply routine lubrication according to your manual's instructions, then let it sit for 4+ hours, and try it again. After which, it would need repair. The question about that are: 1. is it still within Singer's unusually generous warranty period? how old is it?2. where are you located? some locations, e.g. Appalachian regions, are not well-provided with Singer Authorized Service Centers. And if you let me know your locality e.g. by zip code or by town/city and state, I can tell you where to take the machine for repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was purchased in December 2014
Has been used almost daily since purchase
No problem with power cord
I have left it off overnight but not unplugged.
Indicator lights are normal
Zip code 63122
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
It is definitely within warranty from Singer! their warranty periods are much longer than the 1-year default of most manufacturers... but in this case, any company's warranty would still apply, I think. For that zip code / region, the nearest Singer Warranty Centers are... unfortunately, none of them close by to you: GALESBURG SEWING CENTER (8027)243 East MainGalesburg, IL 61401Phone:(###) ###-####RL: Visit WebsiteDoes electronic workDoes mechanical work in Galesburg Illinois, seems to be the closest. None are listed in Missouri. In Illinois, none closer - two more in Chicago, that's it.In Iowa, or Illinois, or Arkansas... the Indianapolis one is closer than Chicago: SEW PRODUCTS MARKETPLACE (3285)1988 East Stop 13 RoadIndianapolis, IN 46277Phone:(###) ###-####ax:(###) ###-####mail:***@******.***: Visit WebsiteServices all models and that's about it, unfortunately. If you want the contact info for the Chicago-area and near-Chicago, near Gary Indiana, locations, let me know. If this completes the case for you, please let me know what rating you would apply to my Answer - or, rate my Answer using the 'smiley-face' interface, if you can. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.