Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru , Appliance Tech
Experience:  Owner and Operator with 15yrs experience with degrees.
21107370

OK so my gas fireplace was on, and I sat in front of it reading.

OK so my gas fireplace was on, and I sat in front of it reading. There was a humming noise coming from it indicating it was working. I looked up and the flame was out; I turned it off and on again, but it won't ignite. There is a small blue flame (looks like a pilot light or something that turns on, but the rest of it doesn't catch.

1. Most importantly, do I have to worry that I was exposed to carbon monoxide?
2. What might be wrong with this?
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.
You do not have to worry about carbon monoxide at all. The issue is likely a gas valve or an issue with the pilot sensor. It may not be sending a signal to the valve to allow the valve to turn on to send gas to the main burner. This will cause the issue and the pilot will only stay lit then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay...it's that likely to be true even though the fire initially lit (and then fired some time later...although I still heard the fireplace humming)? It no longer lights though.

There may be a problem with the gas valve itself. If there is a pilot flame and the unit will not light there may be a problem with the valve or an issue with the pilot sensor that goes to the valve.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay...still no worries about carbon monoxide though?

No not at all. Carbon monoxide would be only if there were a flame and you had a vent issue. No need to worry about that at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great. Thanks!