Michael
Michael, Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 years of experience diagnosing and repairing all types of home appliances.
11519491

I have a Roomba Pet Series and hardwood floors. I have been

Customer Question

I have a Roomba Pet Series and hardwood floors. I have been out of my home for a few months due to medical reasons but kept my Roomba on the charger. Today I needed to use it, the light was green and it ran for a few minutes then stopped. I put it back on the charger and the yellow/orange flashed for a while then turned to a red light. It will not start at all now and I have no clue what to do and no one to help me. Any suggestions for a handicapped old lady?
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi sorry you are experiencing this trouble.
How long have you had the Roomba?
Thank you
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About a little over a year and I can't find the booklet becasue of a flood we had during the last huricane.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Roomba just said "Charging error 5" - at least I think that's what it said??

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Janet,
Please copy and paste this link in to your web browser and simply press the enter key to go to the link.
Please watch the video and try the suggestion.
If this works great! Please rate me in a positive fashion.
If not Please respond to me so I can further advise you:-)
Thank you
Tech Mike
Here is the link:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xec9bv_irobot-roomba-500-series-battery-re_tech#.UR_93Be-o2c
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I unplugged the docking station and plugged the line directly into the Roomba. Since the lady said it should take 72 hours, I won't rate you until I find out if this works because I can't afford another charge for the same problem. How do I get in touch with you if this action doesn't work? And, if it does, how do I then rate you?

(I'm praying this does work even tho it was on the dock thing for the few months I was out of the house!!)

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Janet,
You can reply to me the same way, even though the unit was on the charger that can still be the fault because it wont remain in a state of charge for that long.
I have the same model so I am sure of this:-)
You can rate me once you know if it worked for you.
Thank you Janet and have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Michael. Would that explain why it worked great for 4 minutes then just quit and I couldn't get any respose from it at all? If I save this email, is that how I get back in touch with you or should I have a diffenemt email address to save? I'm not too good at this computer thing. :-(

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thanks Janet you did great! Getting to the link and all:-)
answer to your questions:
Yes that would explain that problem for sure.
As for getting back to me you can just respond to this email, or if you like, you can rate me and the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and that will send you an email so that we don't lose each other. I will still be here to work with you until this Roomba is running again and that will not close your question to me.
Thanks Janet and have a great evening:-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question - the Roomba is flashing red all the time - is that normal? I promise not to bug you anymore today/tonight because it's getting close to that *routine order* thing that doctors think are SO important!!

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
LOL Janet its OK no bother.
Hopefully that will take care of the the light as well but I will continue with you if it doesn't.
It could mean the battery is failing but we wont say that just yet, lets see if it charges correctly now:-)
Have a great evening.
Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Afternoon, Michael -

Well, it's been 18 hours and the Roomba is still flashing red and the button doesn't turn it on. What's our next step?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Janet, unfortunately if the unit still wont power on the batteries have gone bad.
This happens a lot when the Roomba isn't used for an extended period of time.
You will need to replace them.
Here is where you can get replacement batteries:

http://www.all-battery.com/irobotbatteries_selection.aspx

This site has the best price and reliability.
I wish there was something else that would solve this problem but it is the batteries, occasionally they will fail and need to be replaced.
If there is anything else I can do for you please let me know, I will be here for you:-)
Thank you
Tech Mike
Michael, Small Appliance Technician
Experience: I have over 25 years of experience diagnosing and repairing all types of home appliances.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Janet, thank you for the rating.
I will still be here for you at no additional cost to be sure your unit works with the new batteries:-)
Have a wonderful day.
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've decided a need someone close by to come and help me! I'm assuming the battery is reached by removing the four screws on the bottom - where the arrows are? How do I know which of those batteries to order? It says model # 533 on the bottom and it's the Pet Series one.

You've been so kind and helpful and I'd like to ask you what I ask anyone who helps me on-line or by phone - where are you located? I've talked to people from all over and I've had to ask for some of them to put people on the phone that speak English! ;-D Thanks!

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I am located in the US. Below is the link showing how to do this and yes the four screws need to be removed:-)

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AvFZb9hCNo1SgWeXUSK7HWGbvZx4?p=how+to+replace+roomba+pet+series+batteries&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-200

Also here is the link for your batter from Irobot:
You can order from them as well if you like:-)

http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3001464&cp=3744764.3358508&s=A-ProductAge&parentPage=family
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Michael,

OK, I've ordered the battery but what if I put it in and the Roomba still doesn't work? My 7 days will be up by then so will I have to pay again? S.S. only goes so far.

BTW, I know you're from the US but what stae? I'm in VA.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi no you wont need to pay again:-)
I will still be here but the new battery should work fine but let me know either way .
Thank you
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Janet, thank you for the rating.
Have a wonderful day.
Tech Mike