Michael
Michael, Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 years of experience diagnosing and repairing all types of home appliances.
11519491

Hi have a 251-50701 Kenmore dehumidifier. It will run fine

Customer Question

Hi have a 251-50701 Kenmore dehumidifier. It will run fine for about an hour at a time and then will power off on its own. I have set it anywhere from 60% humidity to Low and it still powers off after an hour. I have cleaned the air filter and pulled the back casing off to look at the fan/compressor. Nothing appears out of the ordinary. Is there something I can do to troubleshoot and or fix this problem?
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thank you for using Just Answer!

There are a couple of things that can cause this.
Let me ask ,
1) does the unit collect any water while its running, do the coils frost up?
2) are you running in continuous mode? ( I assume yes)
3) Will the unit start up again on its own after a while if left alone?
4 Is the ambiant air temp above 65 degrees?
This will help me make an accurate diagnosis.
Thank you
Tech Michael
Michael, Small Appliance Technician
Experience: I have over 25 years of experience diagnosing and repairing all types of home appliances.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) I have it draining
though a hose into a drain. I am not certain. I will check this when I get home
if you need this info.

2) If continuous mode
means it is always running until I power it off then yes.

3) The unit will not
start up on its own once it shuts down.

4) The temperature is
around 65 in this room but I think it has been doing this since last summer
when it was warmer.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you, I need to know because at or about 65 degrees the unit will do this.
But let me know all of this so i can help you further.
Talk with you when you can.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just checked now that I am home:

1)I cannot see the coils. They are hidden very well. Water does drain out of the dehumidifier. Should I pull the unit apart to see them?

2) I have it set on a mode that should run all the time.

3) It still does not start back up on its own. It is as if the power button has been pressed and the machine is off.

4) I put a space heater in the room to get it up to around 80 deg. The dehumidifier still shut off.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jake,
thanks for the info.
No you dont need to check the coils as they are working.
But the next step involves the main control board.
You can try unplugging the unit and waiting 15 minutes. Then try it again, if this problem still occurs, then the main control board is defective.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had the dehumidifier unplugged this winter (longer than 15mins) and when I plugged it back in I had the same issue.

I just ordered a new "pcb main" for the dehumidifier off the sears web site. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome Jake,
Thats what I would recomend as well

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Thats the likely culpret.
Tech Michael
But I will be here for you at no additional cost for you if you need help with the install, or if that doesnt fix the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After replacing the PCB the dehumidifier now works without shutting down after 15 minutes. My basement is now nice and dry. The replacement of this part was pretty easy as well. Thank you for the guidance. I would not have thought to replace this part.

Jake

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, please leave me some positive feedback!
And Jake have a great day!
Tech Michael