Rob
Rob , Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Miele Cat and Dog S716 doesnt switch on. The red warning light

Customer Question

Miele Cat and Dog S716 doesn't switch on. The red warning light comes on as soon as the appliance is plugged in. I lent it to builders and filters got clogged. I took it completely apart and fully cleaned it. I suspect that the motor PCB module has failed but I don't know how to test for this. I also can't find anyone online selling this part for the S716.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hi
What did the builders pick up with it, was it brick and plaster dust?

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Plaster dust
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hi
OK
Unfortunately plaster dust is the worst thing to a vacuum cleaner.
It is very small in size so isn't contained by the paper bag or the filter and it is also abrasive.
The dust will be in the motor itself, thats the way a vacuum cleaner works, it tries to pull the dirt into the motor and its only the bag and filter that stops it.

I am afraid the only answer would be a complete strip down and thorough clean of the machine and to replace the motor.

There are no "copies" of this motor. You would have to get it from miele. The last time I looked the price for a Miele motor was over £100 plus the vat.

I hope this answers your question and you click the accept button for me. By doing so, a proportion of the deposit you have already paid to just Answer, is transferred to me for helping you with your problem today.

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm asking for a test that I can perform to establish what has failed. Please tell me how to determine whether the motor pcb has failed or not. Thanks
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hi
The only test you can do is to meter out the motor, if its open circuit you need to replace it.
Even if it tests ok it may still run noisy
There is no test for the pcb im afraid.
After over 20 years experience, where plaster dust is concerned, its always the motor. There is nothing on a pcb that moves, so in theory, it could work in a bucket of dust, not so the motor

Thanks
Rob

Edited by royzee on 1/3/2011 at 10:16 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm specifically looking for a test for the pcb. The motor shows no signs of abrasion at all. The filters clogged (whatever the dust was most of it didn't get through the filter). I think it is very unlikely to be the motor. I want an electrical test for the pcb. Please pass to someone else if you can't help me.