linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  A tutor for Business, Finance, Accounts and other related topics.
19873544

I've been working on this for weeks and also checking my

Customer Question

Hi, I've been working on this for weeks and also checking my work but some numbers kept saying it's wrong.
JA: The tutor can help you get an A on your homework or ace your next test. Tell us more about what you need help with so we can help you best.
Customer: Kelly Pitney began her consulting business, Kelly Consulting, on April 1, 2018. The accounting cycle for Kelly Consulting for April, including financial statements, was illustrated in this chapter. During May, Kelly Consulting entered into the following transactions:
May 3 Received cash from clients as an advance payment for services to be provided and recorded it as unearned fees, $4,500.
5 Received cash from clients on account, $2,450.
9 Paid cash for a newspaper advertisement, $225.
13 Paid Office Station Co. for part of the debt incurred on April 5, $640.
15 Recorded services provided on account for the period May 1–15, $9,180.
16 Paid part-time receptionist for two weeks’ salary including the amount owed on April 30, $750.
17 Recorded cash from cash clients for fees earned during the period May 1–16, $8,360.
Record the following transactions on Page 6 of the journal:
May 20 Purchased supplies on account, $735.
21 Recorded services provided on account for the period May 16–20, $4,820.
25 Recorded cash from cash clients for fees earned for the period May 17–23, $7,900.
27 Received cash from clients on account, $9,520.
28 Paid part-time receptionist for two weeks’ salary, $750.
30 Paid telephone bill for May, $260.
31 Paid electricity bill for May, $810.
31 Recorded cash from cash clients for fees earned for the period May 26–31, $3,300.
31 Recorded services provided on account for the remainder of May, $2,650.
31 Paid dividends, $10,500.
Required:
1. The chart of accounts is shown in a separate panel and the post-closing trial balance as of April 30, 2018, is shown below.
A. Download the spreadsheet in the Ledger panel and save the Excel file to your computer. Be sure to save your work in Excel as it will be used to complete the following steps in Part 1 of this problem as well as steps in Part 2 of this problem. Your input into the spreadsheet will not be included in your grade in CengageNOW on this problem. For each account in the post-closing trial balance, enter the balance in the appropriate Balance column of the four-column account. Date the balances May 1, enter Balance in the Item column and select a check mark in the Posting Reference column.
B. Journalize each of the May transactions in the two-column journal starting on Page 5 of the journal. Refer to the Chart of Accounts for exact wording of account titles. (Do not insert the account numbers in the journal at this time.)
2. Post the journal entries on pages 5 and 6 of the journal to the ledger of four-column accounts. Enter the appropriate Posting References in the journal and the ledger. No entry is necessary in the item column.
3. Prepare an unadjusted trial balance.
4. At the end of May, the following adjustment data were assembled. Analyze and use these data to complete parts (5) and (6).
• Insurance expired during May is $275.
• Supplies on hand on May 31 are $715.
• Depreciation of office equipment for May is $330.
• Accrued receptionist salary on May 31 is $325.
• Rent expired during May is $1,600.
• Unearned fees on May 31 are $3,210.
5. (Optional) On your own paper or spreadsheet, enter the unadjusted trial balance on a 10-column end-of-period spreadsheet (work sheet), and complete the spreadsheet.
6.
A. Journalize the adjusting entries on Page 7 of the journal. Refer to the Chart of Accounts for exact wording of account titles.
B. Post the adjusting entries to the ledger. Enter the appropriate Posting References in the journal and the ledger. No entry is necessary in the item column.
7. Prepare an adjusted trial balance.
JA: Is there anything else the tutor should be aware of?
Customer: No. this is it.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Single Problem
Expert:  F. Naz replied 26 days ago.

Hello

Kindly let me know the deadline as well as also mention that is this your graded question?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
The deadline is Tuesday, But would be best if I can finish it today and yes this is a graded question. I have completed it and all titles and arrangements were correct but some numbers (Total cash and A/R in balance sheet; supplies and unearned fees in adjusted balance, etc.) the numbers were supposed to match no matter how many times I calculate it. But the computer(auto grade) says the numbers are wrong.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I really want to understand where my mistakes are.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Expert:  F. Naz replied 26 days ago.

So how can I provide help in the graded question as it will break the honor code of your university, thanks.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Can you help and explain to me the parts where I don't understand then?
Expert:  F. Naz replied 26 days ago.

Which parts you facing problems?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
The first one will be: 16 Paid part-time receptionist for two weeks’ salary including the amount owed on April 30, $750. I know that it is going to be Dr Salaries expense, DR salaries payable and CR Cash. But I don't understand how to get to the different amounts in salaries exp and payable
Expert:  F. Naz replied 26 days ago.

There must be some detail regarding amount owed at april 30 in your data and in that data the amount for april will be given.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
2. The adjustment of Unearned fees on May 31 are $3,210. I took the difference of the first entry of $4500 -$3210 and got the difference of 1290 for unearned fees (DR) and Fees Earned (CR) but it was marked wrong on the number of 1290. How can I get to the correct amount? The only instruction stated on the paper is what I have sent you as the question.3. For the unadjusted trial balance, I got 22,095 for the total amount of cash, but it was marked wrong. I re-calculated it 5 times and still got the same number. But yet all my journal entries besides the adjustment of (2) were all correct. So this shouldn't affect the total amount of cash.4. The total amount of Accounts Receivable was marked wrong as well, and no matter how many times I calculate it, the numbers I got didn't change.5. The supplies before adjustment is supposed to be 735 since there is no info regarding supplies besides just that one entry of 735, but yet when I put 735 on the unadjusted trial balance sheet, the number was marked wrong.6. Same goes for salaries payable, accounts payable, and unearned fees on the unadjusted trial balance. I took whatever was given and based off of my answers for the journal entries (which were all marked right besides one adjusting entry but this shouldn't affect the unadjusted trial balance sheet) but yet the amount was marked wrong.7. For the adjusted trial balance, same thing happens. The accumulated depreciation after adjustment is 330. There was no accumulated depreciation before adjustment. But yet the 330 was marked wrong while depreciation expense of 330 was marked right. I don't get this.
Same thing happened to prepaid rent and prepaid insurance.This is all the parts I don't get.
Expert:  F. Naz replied 26 days ago.

I will go through these and will come back to you soon, thanks.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Oh nevermind, I figured it out.