Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Finished my BA degree with a GPA of 4.0.
3708793

The §222 deduction and related expenses was available:

Customer Question

The §222 deduction for tuition and related expenses was available: a. only if the taxpayer itemizes deductions from AGI. b. To deduct that portion of the tuition in excess of that allowed under the lifetime learning credit c. To cover the tuition of a
cousin who qualifies as taxpayer's dependent. d. Only if job related. e. None of the above. In order to answer this question, please click into this link https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/222. This code specifies qualified tuition and related expenses.
Category: Single Problem
Expert:  Manal Elkhoshkhany replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The answer is "e.None of the above"

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask; if all is clear, please rate the service

P.S. If you like my services, please feel free to direct your future posts to me specifically by typing "For Manal Elkhoshkhany" at the beginning of your post. Should you choose to do this, please try to allow me at least 48 hours before the deadline. If you need to meet me online for a timed assignment, please advise me of the date and time (EST) you want me to meet you here and I will (Also please notify me at least 48 hours in advance) . Please make sure you take the length (and number) of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you explain a little bit about b and c? And by the way, the deduction was available to cover room and board expenses to attend college since it is tuition related, right?

Sure:

a) The § 222 deduction is a deduction for AGI, b) The deduction is not available when the lifetime learning credit is used, c) The student involved is not a dependent of the taxpayer, d) The education need not be job related

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way, the tuition was available to cover room and board expenses to attend college, right?

The question does not state that.

Thank you