Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Finished my BA degree with a GPA of 4.0.
3708793

The specialty chemical company operates a crude oil refinery

The specialty chemical company operates a crude oil refinery located in New Iberia,LA. The company refines crude oil and sells the by-products to companies that make plastic bottles and jugs. The firm is currently planning for its refining needs for one year hence. Specifically, the firms analysts estimate that specialty will need to purchase $1 million barrels of crude oil at the end of the current year to provide the feed stock for its refining needs for the coming year. The 1 million barrels of crude will be converted into by-products at an average cost of $20 per barrel that specialty expects to sell for $170 million or $170 per barrel of crude used. The current spot price of oil is $115 per barrel and specialty has been offered a forward contract by its investment banker to purchase the needed oil for a delivery price in one year of $120 per barrel.

a. Ignoring taxes, what will specialties profits be if oil prices in one year are as low as $100 or as high as $140, assuming the firm does not enter into a forward contract?

price of oil/bbl unhedged annual profits (round to the nearest dollar

$100
$105
$110
$115
$120
$125
$130
$135
$140

b. If the firm were to enter into the forward contract, demonstrate how this would effectively lock in the firms cost of fuel today, thus hedging the risk of fluctuating crude oil prices on the firms profits for the next year.
Category: Single Problem
Expert:  Manal Elkhoshkhany replied 10 months ago.
Hello

Please advise your deadline

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I need it by 7pm tonight thank you

ok deal :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sounds great! thank you so much

No problem at all :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

awesome! I look forward to your answer. Have a awesome day

Thanks a million

Same to you
I am done :)

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask; if all is clear, please rate the solution.

Please click on the following link to download the solutions:

https://app.box.com/s/ehoj93mh2dnwa54eq82z

P.S. If you like my services, please feel free to direct your future posts to me specifically by typing "For Manal Elkhoshkhany" at the beginning of your post. Should you choose to do this, please try to allow me at least 48 hours before the deadline. If you need to meet me online for a timed assignment, please advise me of the date and time (EST) you want me to meet you here and I will (Also please notify me at least 48 hours in advance) . Please make sure you take the length (and number) of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Thank you
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Finished my BA degree with a GPA of 4.0.