linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst and Solution Consultant with over 9 years of experience.
19873544

I have some financial ratio questions, about 8 altogether on

I have some financial ratio questions, about 8 altogether on an online undergraduate course I am taking in finance. The questions pop up one at a time, so I will have to text them each separately. The first one I have is:
compute cost of capital for firm for following:
bond has 1000 par value and contract/coupon interest rate 10.1%. Bond has current market value 1120 and will mature in 10 yrs. firms marginal rate 34%.
New common stock issue paid 1.83 dividend last year. firm's dividend expected to continue to grow at 7.6% forever.Price of current stock now 27.73
a preferred stock paying 8.5% dividend on $152 par value.
bond selling to yield 11.2% where the firm's tax rate is 34%
A bond that has 1000 par value and a contract/coupon interest rate of 10.1%. the bonds have a current market value of 1120 and will mature in 10 yrs. firms marginal tax rate is 34%
The cost of capital from this bond debt is ____%?
Category: Single Problem
Expert:  linda_us replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and Thanks for requesting me.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to help you with your questions.

When you want to do all of your questions (Shall we start at 6 PM EST today) and whats your total offer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

They are on-line basic homework practice type questions regarding financial ratio calculations, so including detail on how you came up with the answer would be helpful so I can understand how to do the problem. These are the basic questions, it is not a final exam, so I do not feel they are worth a lot of money here, but I do want to pay you for your time. The questions should not be very hard, this is an intro finance course, I am just overwhelmed with on-line forum here. Is 20 sufficient here?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I can pay a little more if needed. Would you be able to answer about 8 simple financial ratio questions today, as they are homework questions and due by late evening for points towards my grade. Please let me know soon, I definitely need some help with this. Will you have time now or soon??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Are you still there ????

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Just so I know, how long will it normally take to communicate in this forum? I want to work where we can communicate within a reasonable time frame, will that work here?

Sorry, I was working with another customer.

We can schedule a dedicated time for your work. We can start at 6 PM EST and work till the time we complete it.

I am on this post now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, that sounds alright. These finance ratio info is confusing to me and need to see just basic info how you came to correct calculation with the problem, not excessive detail if possible. I have to submit these homework questions as large portion of my grade, so these questions do matter and the deadline for these questions is by midnight est. Ok, so you are unable to do any now?

I am with another customer now. Can we start at 6 PM?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That is family dinner time, harder for me when I have time now, I want to work with you, but my time is now. 6 is family dinner time and I cook....this is my homework time I have a family

We can start later if you want. I am available between 6 PM to 10 PM EST.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If that is all you have and no one else is available, I will have to take 6. Just hectic, as usual, of course. Oh well, I will be here on line at 6, I need to do sooner than later. If 8 simple type questions, will it take a long time if you are working with other customers as well at that time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Can the question go out to other experts to see if they have time now? If so, how do I do that, since I am only communicating with you here. Otherwise, I will keep 6, but it really is not a good time for me, but I need to get this done. How do I check with other tutors for availability now, and if not any available, I will keep time with you, OK?

You can work with another experts as of now I will opt out from this post so that other experts can help (You don't need to do anything). Once another expert pick this up they will respond.

If no expert is available or the questions is still open at 6, I will opt back in to help you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX don't hear anything, then I will text you back at 6. Thanks again for your time& help, new to on-line forums. Thanks.

Stacey

Hi Stacey

Do you want to do it now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I am ready.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Do you have everything you need for that first question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Are you there?

I am working on first set.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi linda,

because I waited on the on-line software, that exact question was changed a little with the numbers...so here is the same Q with a few slight changes. I do not need it on spreadsheet, you can type it here in text if possible. So, the question reads the same with bond at 1000, but the contract/coupon rate 11.1%. Bonds have current market value 1,125 and mature in 10 yrs. Common stock is 1.83 dividend last year. firm's dividends are expected to grow at 6.4% per year forever. price of firm's common stock is now 27.53. preferred stock is paying 8.8 % dividend on $105 par value. A bond selling to yield 12.9% where the firm's tax rate is 34%

The cost of capital from this bond debt is ____%

The system changed the numbers on last question I gave you because I waited tooo long

Bond : 6.03%
Equity: 13.74%
Pref: 8.80%
Bond: 8.51%
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I don't quite understand your info above here, what are you asking me? Are we able to talk on the phone, I really hate typing everything all the time. I do not understand what you are saying above here....

I just gave you the answer above for the changed data. Do you need complete working?

I won't be able to talk but instead of typing you can attach screenshot.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well, looking at the problem and your answer. I am new to ratios period. I do not see how to calculate that properly for the cost of capital answer needed...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

You can provide answer, but not detail for question above. Then I can review the detail of previous question later to understand how you came to the answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Does that work for you? After this question is answered, then I can move on to the next one and type it to you. The software I am working on only allows me to answer one question, then I can move on to the next one. Ok?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I made sure I typed in 8.51 (% sign is given), it said the answer was wrong. I checked the numbers I gave you. The info I gave you is correct, not sure why it shows as incorrect with the answer you gave me at 8.51

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am unable to move to next question, I have one more try to get it right, or 0 point instead of 1 point (toward final grade of course). So, I have rechecked what I gave you again. It is correct, I can retype info here again if needed. Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So, have you received my text?

I am checking it.
Cost = 12.9%*(1-.34) = 8.51%

The solution is correct.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well, that's fun. Let's try this one....
I am attaching the question as a screen shot in Microsoft word as attachment.

Attachment: 2013-09-30_233050_prob3.docx

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So, can you read the screen shot attachment?

Yes I can.

Shall I only provide the answers or do you need working?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Answer only for now

a. 6.77%
b.It is standard practice to estimate the cost of debt using the yield to maturity on a portfolio of bonds with a similar credit rating and maturity as the firm’s outstanding debt.
c. 14.05%
d. =(0.109*130)/150.79 = 9.40%
e. 8.38%
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I need the one answer as stated on problem as cost of capital from bond debt is ____% please. I am by no means familiar with plugging in these numbers yet. I feel lost with this so far, please look at Prob 4 attachment, as this same question has now changed numbers, same Q, my fault as I hit wrong button on software.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I tried to attached Prob 4, which is prob 3, which same question, but different numbers because you get 2 tries to each q, but they change the numbers each time, more fun. Here is Prob 4 attachment, pls review and give that answer. THanks

Attachment: 2013-09-30_235209_prob4.docx

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So, do you see on the attachment where the only answer I need to answer on the software program is at the end of q. I see you answered each letter here, but the cost of capital form the bond debt is __% is all I need, thanks for additional input. Prob4 attachment answer is the one I will need now, thank you.

Which part you want me to do a,b,c,d or e?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If you notice on attachment, there is a,b,c,d,e. THEN BELOW THAT IS A LINE THEN ANOTHER LETTER a.

then IT SAYS

The cost of capital from the bond deb is________% DO YOU NOT SEE THAT IN THE SCREEN SHOT??

a. 6.32%
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK...IS THE ANSWER YOU ARE GIVING ME HERE THE ANSWER TO PROBLEM 4??

Yes prob 4. part a.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, great that worked correctly. I see how they are doing it now, each letter a,b,c,d, e is answered in sequence. I get it now, I feel stupid...cheese. I need the answers to c,d,e now on prob 4, sorry for the confusion. My first time on this lovely software.

So shall I do c,d & e now?
c. 14.71%
d. 8.96%
e. 8.32%
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX correct. I really appreciate this help! There appears to only be 3 more questions here, so this attachment is prob 5. Thanks again! here is attachment.

Attachment: 2013-10-01_002839_prob5.docx

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

On this question, can you provide a little detail how you arrived to the answer for prob 5, that would help me understand more if you can. Thank you.

Weight Debt = 270/380 = 71.05%
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience: Business Analyst and Solution Consultant with over 9 years of experience.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, great. I am beginning to understand some things here. Now, for this same question, it is asking me now for the W with lower case of CS weight as a ____%. Round to one decimal place. Can you also provide basic detail here, thank you again.

Weight CS = 28.9%

If it one decimal place then previous answer should be 71.1%
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, great. Thanks. 2 problems left, here is problem 6 as attachment. Again, it is a,b,c,d, and so on. so, obviously it will prompt me to answer a then b, and so on. Here it is, thanks.

Attachment: 2013-10-01_005330_prob6.docx

Hi Stacey

It has been over 3 hours since we are working on these problems. I thought we had 8 questions but we have done lot more than that.

Please do consider your offer considering the time and work involved.

a6.28%
b15.01%
c9.40%
d.8.05%
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Definitely, I will respond to excellent service above with additional tips for your extended time. Thanks for all your additional time and help! Here is the last problem 7 attached. And I will go back here and provide tips above, thanks again.

Stacey

Attachment: 2013-10-01_011608_prob7.docx

Thanks

Here is your next set

a. 6.64%
b. It is standard practice to estimate the cost of debt using the yield to maturity on a portfolio of bonds with a similar credit rating and maturity as the firm’s outstanding debt.
c. 14.11%
d. 7.83%
e. 8.38%
linda_us, Master's Degree