Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Finished my BA degree with a GPA of 4.0.
3708793

Are you able to help me again. I need this by Sunday, April

Are you able to help me again. I need this by Sunday, April 15, 2012 if you can help me.

P9-9 (Statement and Note Disclosure, LCM, and Purchase Commitment) Maddox Specialty Company, a division of Lost World Inc., manufactures three models of gear shift components for bicycles that are sold to bicycle manufacturers, retailers, and catalog outlets. Since beginning operations in 1978, Maddox has used normal absorption costing and has assumed a first-in, first-out cost flow in its perpetual inventory system. The balances of the inventory accounts at the end of Maddox's fiscal year, November 30, 2010, are shown below. The inventories are stated at cost before any year-end adjustments.

Finished goods $647,000
Work in process 112,500
Raw materials 264,000
Factory supplies 69,000

The following information relates to Maddox's inventory and operations.

1. The finished goods inventory consists of the items analyzed below.

Cost Market
Down tube shifter
Standard model $ 67,500 $ 67,000
Click adjustment model 94,500 89,000
Deluxe model 108,000 110,000
Total down tube shifters 270,000 266,000
Bar end shifter
Standard model 83,000 90,050
Click adjustment model 99,000 97,550
Total bar end shifters 182,000 187,600
Head tube shifter
Standard model 78,000 77,650
Click adjustment model 117,000 119,300
Total head tube shifters 195,000 196,950
Total finished goods $647,000 $650,550

2. One-half of the head tube shifter finished goods inventory is held by catalog outlets on consignment.

3. Three-quarters of the bar end shifter finished goods inventory has been pledged as collateral for a bank loan.

4. One-half of the raw materials balance represents derailleurs acquired at a contracted price 20 percent above the current market price. The market value of the rest of the raw materials is $127,400.

5. The total market value of the work in process inventory is $108,700.

6. Included in the cost of factory supplies are obsolete items with an historical cost of $4,200. The market value of the remaining factory supplies is $65,900.

7. Maddox applies the lower-of-cost-or-market method to each of the three types of shifters in finished goods inventory. For each of the other three inventory accounts, Maddox applies the lower-of-cost-or-market method to the total of each inventory account.

8. Consider all amounts presented above to be material in relation to Maddox's financial statements taken as a whole.

Instructions

(a) Prepare the inventory section of Maddox's balance sheet as of November 30, 2010, including any required note(s).

(b) Without prejudice to your answer to (a), assume that the market value of Maddox's inventories is less than cost. Explain how this decline would be presented in Maddox's income statement for the fiscal year ended November 30, 2010.

(c) Assume that Maddox has a firm purchase commitment for the same type of derailleur included in the raw materials inventory as of November 30, 2010, and that the purchase commitment is at a contracted price 15% greater than the current market price. These derailleurs are to be delivered to Maddox after November 30, 2010. Discuss the impact, if any, that this purchase commitment would have on Maddox's financial statements prepared for the fiscal year ended November 30, 2010.
Category: Single Problem
Expert:  Manal Elkhoshkhany replied 2 years ago.

HelloCustomer/p>

Please remember the following for future posts to avoid delays:

1) Type "For BusinessTutor" at the beginning of the post

2) Post the question in the correct category (Under Business & Finance HW)

Click on the following link for the solution:

http://www.box.com/s/d06a3e17e19c1f87f5af

P.S. If you like my services, please feel free to direct your future posts to me specifically by typing "For BusinessTutor" at the beginning of your post. Should you choose to do this, please try to allow me 48 hours before the deadline. If you need to meet me online for a timed assignment, please advise me of the date and time (EST) you want me to meet you here and I will. Please make sure you take the length (and number) of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Thank you

Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Finished my BA degree with a GPA of 4.0.