linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst and Solution Consultant with over 9 years of experience.
19873544

1. A grocery chain is considering the installation of a set

Customer Question

1. A grocery chain is considering the installation of a set of four self-checkout lanes. The new self-checkout lane setup will replace two old cashier lanes that were staffed by a cashier and bagger on each lane. They work 8-hour shifts. For the new self-checkout system, one cashier staffs all four self-checkouts (answering questions, checkng for unscanned items, taking coupons, etc.) Checkout in the new lanes takes 2 minutes (customers bag their own orders), while checkout in the old lanes took only 45 seconds. In addtion, the electricity costs for both setups are $.05 per checkout, while bagging (material) costs are $.10 per checkout with the old system and $.15 for the new system. The new lanes also require $100 in capital costs per shift. Assume that the lanes are always in use for 8 hours per day (one shift) and that a worker makes $10/hour.

a) How many checkouts did the old system provide in a shift
b) How many checkouts does the new system provide
c) Evaluate the system. (Compare the multifactor productivity of the systems and assess the new system in a short narratvie)
Category: Single Problem
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am still waiting on an answer for this question.

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!