Kathy
Kathy, Master's Degree
Experience:  Masters in MFT and B.S in Psychology and Education Leadership specialization.
49749778

Read Kaori's story given below and analyze how intercultural

Customer Question

Read Kaori's story given below and analyze how intercultural communication exists between individualistic and collectivist societies. "In my first semester in the United States, I lived in the dorm and made many friends from different countries. One day,
I was eating lunch when my Korean and Turkish friends started arguing loudly. The issue was our school values. The Turkish girl didn’t like our school and was thinking of transferring. The Korean student defended our school vehemently. The Korean and Turkish
students wouldn’t talk to each other after the argument, and the conflict created a very uncomfortable climate. I was concerned about both of them because we were all friends. So, I asked some of my American friends what they thought about the issue. They
said, “It’s not your problem, Kaori. It’s their problem. Stay away from it.” I was shocked that my American friends didn’t seem to care about the conflict and its negative influence, and it took me a while to understand what the phrase “it’s their problem”
actually means in this highly individualistic American society. I’ve been in the States seven years, and now I use the phrase myself. Do I think it’s good? I don’t know. At least I know I am adapting better to American culture. Do I like it? I don’t know.
It’s just how it is here. But I know that I would never ever say that to my family or friends in Japan." Source: Alberts, J. K., Nakayama, T. K., & Martin, J. N. (2013). Human communication in society (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon. Based on your understanding
of the situation, answer the following questions:  How do people in “individualist’ cultures behave differently to people in “collectivist” cultures?  As you were growing up, in what ways were you reared to be individualistic or collectivistic? Which orientation
was the predominant cultural value of your family?  Explain the connections between these two cultures with the dialectic approach. Which of the six dialectics is the most predominant in assisting people in communicating more effectively in intercultural
interactions? Provide examples to support your response.
Category: Short Essay (2 pages or less)
Expert:  Kathy replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,
I am willing to assist with your questions. I will post your answers by tomorrow morning at the latest.
Regards,
Kathy
Expert:  Kathy replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,
Sorry for the delay in my response. I was working on a previous document that took me longer than expected.
Below is the link containing your custom answer. I hope it helps you.
Regards,
Kathy
https://app.box.com/s/my9uadh9oknu7fedt7cbsz7t7slomnwa

Related Short Essay (2 pages or less) Questions