Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I don't know really - I received a letter today detailing a

Customer Question

I don't know really - I received a letter today detailing a charge of assault to injury and danger of life - It refers to an incident over 18 months ago and I'm confused/devastated... I don't understand how this has came back into my life...
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Scotland - UK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Well me and my ex partner had an argument on the 21st of April last year. She called the police and we were both arrested. No charges were made against me but she was charged with domestic assault. I understand that her case was thrown out of court. I was released without charge (I didn't do anything). Now this charge has been delivered by post giving me the opportunity to attend court of my own free will or a warrant for my arrest will be passed on to the police...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really - I just want to know why this has taken until now to come to light - It destroyed months of my life already and I'm dumbfounded
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

There is no time limit on a prosecution for a common law crime such as assault. What exactly is the charge and what court are you to attend? Have you seen a solicitor yet?