Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Advocate
Experience:  5 years experience working for a multi national in the UK

Someone raised a grievance about me bullying them 3 months

Customer Question

Someone raised a grievance about me bullying them 3 months ago and I still don't appear to have heard anything from HR is this normal? Its starting to stress me because I haven't heard anything
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on? Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I'm in UK.No lawyer because I honestly didn't think it would take so long to sort
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Well I think the claims are false and she never produced any examples of how I bullied her in the statement I was given by HR. I would have thought if someone felt they were being bullied there would be examples of something I had said or done perhaps does that make sense?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 months ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.

How an employer deals with grievance in the workplace is something that is governed mainly by the ACAS Code of Conduct.

The Code states: "Employers and employees should raise and deal with issues promptly and should not unreasonably delay meetings, decisions or confirmation of those decisions." It then also states: "Employers should arrange for a formal meeting to be held without unreasonable delay after a grievance is received." And that: "Managers should arrange a meeting, ideally within five working days, in private where there will not be interruptions"

As you can see any grievance must be acknowledged without unreasonable delay and ideally a grievance meeting held within 5 days. This is not strict law and it is just a Code but it is taken into account by tribunals if a claim is made against the employer and if the employer is found to have breached it then the tribunal can award an increase in compensation if the employee is successful in their claim. To that end I would be minded to write formally if I was you to your employer and point out that this has now been hanging over your head for 3 months and you would like thew matter to be resolved. This seems a completely unreasonable period in light of the guidance. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.

I see you have not rated yet. Is there any other questions that I can help you with?

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you