JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.

I have been married for 4 years we don't have any property

Customer Question

Hi I have been married for 4 years we don't have any property but have shares in businesses my husband pays for everything I have two daughters from a previous relationship that my husband has taken on as his own for the last 8 years (although not legally) where do I stand if we separate? Do I have any rights?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

All joint property including shares in businesses, would be shared equally. Any property acquired during the marriage or in contemplation of marriage would also tend to be shard equally unless there are special reasons for not doing so. Your husband may have to pay you maintnance for a period depend on on your respective needs and resources as regards ***** ***** expenditure. He would not have to pay child maintenance for children that he hasn't formally adopted. That would be for the natural father to do. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.