JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

I have a warrant for an unpaid fine in Scotland how can I

Customer Question

I have a warrant for an unpaid fine in Scotland how can I sort this before court?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 months ago.

Pay it would be the best and probably only way.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I fully intend to, I've been told to hand myself in on Sunday is there any way I can make contact with someone to pay this before then? Can I contact the police and ask what I'm owe and arrange to make payment. I work full time and cant take a day off to go to court or I'll risk losing my job
Expert:  JGM replied 4 months ago.

If a warrant has been issued, the police have no choice but to execute the warrant. I suggest you or your solicitor contact the procurator fiscal and get agreement to pay the fine to the court immediately. The only way to have the warrant withdrawn is via the PF. I appreciate your concern about your job but you may have to give this priority to avoid being taken into custody.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Rather than hand myself in to the cells could I appear at the court on the Monday or hand myself in Monday morning?
Expert:  JGM replied 4 months ago.

You can do that but my answer was designed to avoid that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess that will go against me? I fully intend to pay this fine (I dont even know it is a fine) I have spoken to an officer who said that rather than sit in the cells i can hand myself in after the weekend. When asked what it was regarding he said he didnt know and couldn't call it in otherwise I would have to go in but it was probably an unpaid fine, hence the question. I keep myself out of trouble and dont have a criminal record hence why I'm guessing its a fine. I dont know how I can even find out if it is a fine let alone pay it and get the whole matter sorted
Expert:  JGM replied 4 months ago.

I would still try to do this via your solicitor and the PF. The PF has the power to countermand the warrant. The police don't, as you have seen.