JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.

Scottish Law, property law,overhanging privit hedge, next

Customer Question

Scottish Law, property law,overhanging privit hedge, next door neighbour's hedge is overhanging our joint boundary by 1.3m or 4ft to my side, hedge height is 7ft plus by 150ft long, boundary fence posts and wire clearly visible within the hedge, do I have the right to cut back to boundary and possibly ask neighbour to remove excess cuttings, my contractor will charge me £400 for the work as hedge is well grown and on a sloping hill,it will take a chainsaw to cut back to our mutual border,comunication between both parties is limited.As I wish to carry out modernisation of my garden and area mentioned, I would like a legal point of view.Location is North East Scotland.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 months ago.

You can cut back to the boundary. You can't ask the neighbour to pick up the cuttings. You have to pick them up and offer them to him.