Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGDL LPC
11292137

JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer: I was

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I was wondering how i check to see if there is a warrant out for my arrest
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: aw are you only dealing in the US
JA: Yes, I was born in America.
Customer: ah ok i need the uk law
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: im not in the country
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I don't really feel comfortable speaking like this to be fair
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: without going into to much detail i missed a court date almost 2 years ago now & I've been abroad ever since
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I need some more information from you please. What type of offence was this 2 years ago? As much background detail as possible is really useful please. Thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 months ago.
This question is surprisingly common.There is absolutely no way of finding out whether there is an arrest warrant out for you from the police. I will explain why. Basically, if there is, the police want to arrest you! Therefore, if they were to tell you or someone else that there was an arrest warrant out for you, firstly, you would try to avoid arrest in all probability (that’s the way they think) or secondly, when they told you, if they knew it was you, they would arrest you! If this was a civil matter, then unless there had been a witness summons, there is very little chance that there would be a warrant for your arrest. It was a criminal matter or non-payment of a fine, you will find out soon enough because if ever you try to go through UK border control, it will often flag upon your passport and you would be arrested at the gate. If you try to return to the country, the same thing could happen. However, whilst the police are unlikely to be helpful, the court where the matter was held will have details and can say whether a warrant for arrest was issued or not. They will require your full name and date of birth. If there is a warrant for arrest and you want to come back in the country, you can make arrangements to surrender yourself to the local police station for the matter to be dealt with. If however you don’t surrender and you try to leave the country, you would be arrested at the airport or ferry terminal. There are now of course 2 offences, the original offence and failing to appear. Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this? Please don’t forget to use the rating service to rate my answer service positively otherwise I get no credit for my time.It does not cost you anything but it helped me greatly.You may think thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open and if you want to ask for clarification of anything, we are still able to exchange emails. Kind regards.