Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Dog bite law JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this.

Customer Question

Dog bite law
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My dog has bitten someone whilst being walked by my mother in law. The victim required 13 stitches and my 56 year old mother in law who is Dr of 30 years experience has been charged under section 3 of dangerous dogs act. Neither me, my partner or any member of our families have any criminal records. The dog has bitten a vet around 2 years ago in completely diferent circumstances whilst sick and the vet admitted it was her fault for approaching from behind. The police are now aware of this.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Yes. I wish to know my rights to see the dog, the likelihood of prosecution by the proc fiscal (based on what I have stated) and likelihood of dig being put down. I also feel the police have not been objective thus far and initially advised us to put the dog down and significantly exaggerated the victims injuries. They have requested a statement from me which I have refused and stated I would make any statement via a defence lawyer if the case goes to court yet they have still tried to make contact by unannounced home visits.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It may also be relevant that police are aware the dog is a rescue dog who had suffered abuse and would normally only ever be walked by myself. Dog has been kennelled by police since incident which I believe will deteriorate the progress he has made since being rescued. The dog showed no indication he would bite, he was on a lead showing no aggression e.g. Barking etc and this has been confirmed by victim and witness which I believe is important in determining responsibility.
Expert:  JGM replied 6 months ago.
What do you/your mother in law think made the dog bite so severely when there was no prior sign of aggression? Why are you refusing to give the police a statement when this would probably help the situation given your narrative above?