JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

Constable bought a used car from via direct lines

Customer Question

constable bought a used car from ***** ***** via direct lines replacement car scheme bought it on understanding that the description on website was accurate as car was at a branch 200 miles away travelled down to collect. it said on description heated electric door mirrors when picked car up was notinformed that they were not working at time of purchase on travelling home discovered faults called branch next day told to take to any ***** ***** service centre for repair did that and was informed today that they would not cover mirrors would this come under miss sale of goods act 1979 as it was stated on sale description and at no point was I informed it was faulty thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was told to book car in to nearest ***** ***** service centre after informing them of fault which I was never made aware of now they say they will not do the repair
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.

How many faults.

How much will it cost to fix?

How long have you had it for?

Thanks

Expert:  JGM replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your question. Under the law of Scotland, the Sale of Goods Act says that goods have to conform to their description. Your narrative states that the car was described as having heated mirrors. They don't work. So the car doesn't conform to the description. You can insist that they repair the car. If they don't, you can have the car fixed elsewhere and you can claim the cost from the seller. The section of the Act that you can read online is section 14. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.