JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

We have not been making payments to gran,s Homecare as we

Customer Question

We have not been making payments to gran,s Homecare as we thought could pay this off when selling house. Meeting today social work who said myself and mum are being fraudulent and we don't know what do we buy Gran everything she needs and spent lot money doing her house with our own money
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

Why do they say you have been fraudulent?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Because we have been using money to buy gran things and pay bills as my son is staying in gran's house with his girlfriend and baby and mum spent lot of her own saving doing house up
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We are struggling financially Homecare people told me over year ago we could pay money later date now we are at wits end as they said they want stop her benefit altogether
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

So there is a debt owed to Homecare but that's not fraudulent. That's just a failure to pay for which you could be sued. As I understand it, the government gives you the money to spend and you choose how to spend it they may be able to stop the benefit but I doubt they could prosecute for fraud if the money has been used for the benefit of the person.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Apparently they say we owe £23000 we made manual payments to start with and got written receipts we cant find them and been told we have pay all of this. Social work said I had to make arrangements pay it all back with Homecare which I done today. They are now saying that in order to stop us getting access to any of her money they need go down prosecution road. Will I be sent jail never down anything wrong in my life I looked after grandparents for years and mum went bank years ago with Gran to get card where she authorised mum to use account
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We didn't use it all for Gran just keep house running etc